Journey To Sara

Hello Everyone! Welcome to our Blog! I'm Gina & my hubby is Philip. We have 3 bio children and we are thrilled to be in our first adoption journey to Ukraine to find our little Sara. I truly believe this is a call from God and look forward to traveling with HIM on our side. We feel very grateful to be given the honour of adopting a child into our family. It has been simply amazing!! Please enjoy as you join us on our journey to Sara.......

Friday, May 11, 2007

May updates on Me and the Family

....................ME.............

This week has been alittle emotional for me. Quite a few times I have not been able to hold back my tears. I had already guessed that as soon as Spring began that it would become alittle more difficult for me and I think the kids too. Spring and summer were the 2 seasons that we did alot of family stuff and just simply being around each more together. I've been also thinking alot about the things that just Philip and I would do together. One of the things we enjoyed was going for rides on his Fatboy Harley Davidson Bike. There has been hundreds of them around lately because of the fantastic weather. I really miss those rides and seeing how excited he would get to finally ride his "baby". He even had my name made in chrome and had it installed on the bike,'GINA'. We had alot of good times on that bike. I will never forget all the trips we took and I have hundreds of photos to prove it. The only problem is....I can't tell which trip is which!
This past week I have also seen a lovely psychiatrist. I feel very comfortable with her.I had decided 2 or 3 months ago that it would be in my best interest to see one. My life has been turned upside down and I have 4 children who are under my care. They deserve a mom who will care for them in the best way possible. In order to do that, I need to make sure my mind is healthy too. I have been trying to deal with alot of different things in the most positive ways possible. There are just sooo many things and I sometimes feel over-whelmed. I've read some good books and talked to some friends and family who gave me some advice. So, I guess I'm sort of winging it and I just want to make sure I'm making the correct decisions where my kids are concerned and even for myself. I want to have the best guidance ever and who else can I receive that from, but a professional? Needless to say, my first session went well and I even shed a few tears.Eventually I would like the kids to see her when they are ready. I will play it by ear. I will be seeing her for as long as it takes......until I feel comfortable......... in my heart.

....................MY FAMILY....................
Anthony.....
I didn't end up going to the trailer park again because Anthony injured his foot on Sat. evening. He accidently jumped on a long rusted nail, which apparently nicked his heel bone. He's doing o.k now with his antibiotics and salt-baths for his foot. He also received a tetnus shot. I just wanted to keep an eye on him for any problems. Anthony has been handling things o.k. He has been behaving well. Nothing out of the ordinary or to complain about. He is just alittle edgy sometimes. Although I worry about him because he doesn't talk about his feelings a whole lot. He says he doesn't really talk about Dad too much with his friends anymore, so, I will make an effort to talk about some good times he had with his Dad.

Marina.....
She has been handling things o.k too. I guess it's easier for a girl to show emotions because they are not criticized for it and it is acceptable. Marina also gets edgy sometimes for no apparent reason. She talks to me all the time and doesn't hesitate to ask questions or tell me how she is feeling. I encourage her to continue to do this. Marina has been seeing a grieving counselor through the school. She comes to see her on a 'one on one' basis, once a week, at the school. She has just finished doing a 'memory album' with pictures of her dad. She seemed quite proud of it. So far, Marina seems to be working through her grieving in a good way.

Rafael......
He has been one angry little boy lately. He has been quite the challenge for me. He's really got me worried. I've also spoke to his teacher and he has been very edgy at school too. He hasn't been very nice to his classmates, including the teacher. She said that it's under control now, but it can easily get worse. She understands why he is being this way and really feels badly for him. Rafael is also seeing the same grieving counselor as Marina. Rafael says he really likes his counselor, which is a good thing. What will happen when school is out? I'm definitely going to have him see the same lady as I'm seeing. If I let this go, he will spiral out of control. He is constantly getting in heated arguments with all of us at home, especially me. I'm his main target. He is almost always defiant with me and it makes me very angry and frustrated. I've already lost it with him twice this week. I am a very patient person..........but Rafael is really really working it. Sometimes he just doesn't stop. Next thing you know I have Anthony, Marina and Sara yelling at Rafael to stop making Mom so upset. This has only happened a hand-full of times and thats more then enough for me. I just hope I get the right kind of help for him before things get worse.
He is really my sensitive, loveable, affectionate boy with a fire in his eyes.

Sara.....
She is doing quite well considering all that she has had to deal with since she has been home. To name a few.....daily visits at the orphanage with her new mamma & papa that were basically strangers to her, leaving the orphanage with us, first car-ride and long airplane ride to Canada, learning another language, adjusting with her new family, living in a new home, eating different foods, dealing with losing her papa etc. etc. It's a wonder to me that she is not acting more like Rafael. Although, she has let out her anger in a few 'holding times'. She's still alittle confused about the way the family unit is now. She totally caught me off guard one day when she asked,"Will I be getting a new Daddy?" For a moment I was left speachless. She then went on saying how much she misses her Daddy giving her' big big hugs'. Before I said anything, I put myself in her shoes to better understand where she was coming from. I gently told her that she wouldn't be getting a new daddy and that she already had a daddy.......in her heart........and he loves you so so much and I'm sure daddy misses giving you hugs like before. She just cried and cried and cried and I didn't know what else to do but cry with her. I think this reaction from Sara was her missing her fathers physical affection. I feel so badly for her.

About 3 weeks ago, I put Sara in a pre-school about 5 minutes from home. My long time friend, Christine, (since kindergarten!) has a daycare/preschool right in her own home. She has a perfect setting and Sara was familiar with the place and people. She has been there a few times already to play with Christines 5 yr old daughter Juliana. I thought she would be most comfortable here for preparation of J-K in September. I registered her for J-K in April. Sara goes to pre-school every Tues. and Wed. from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm. Apparently she has a great time and she tells me so, when I pick her up. She is no trouble at all and she follows all the rules. The only problem is that she gets very upset when I have to leave her. Last Tues. she really started to cry after I said good-bye to her in the morning. It totally broke my heart. I left as quickly as possible and I cried all the way home. As soon as I got home I called Chris and she assured me that I barely got out the door and she was on a swing, singing! She said this could go on for about a month, before she is confident that I WILL come back to pick her up everytime. I just hope I can last that long!
I've also signed Sara up for swimming lessons. We've been going since the beginning of April. It's a moms & tots thing. We have a fantastic time together and she is like a fish in the water! She goes under the water and opens her eyes and jumps in and loves to float on her back. The classes go to the first week of June. In august, I would like to sign her up for, Ballet. Sara has inquired about it quite a few times. The classes start in September. I think she will have a blast. She loves dancing.

For now I will leave you's all with our latest update...........................................
Take care all and God Bless!
Gina

9 Comments:

  • At 10:03 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're an exceptionally strong woman Gina! We really love hearing how you are doing! Keep up with the updates! Hope to see you and the kids this long weekend at the park!Take care!

     
  • At 3:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Z.Gina,
    I just got caught up with your blog..You are all very very strong and as a family will get through this difficult time...If you ever need to talk please don't hesitate to call...Me and Angelo are always there for all of you!!....I hope you and the kids had a good time on Saturday Angelica loved having everyone there she had a great time!!...We will talk soon..
    We love you all
    Angelo,Avelia and Angelica!!

     
  • At 10:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Zia Gina, Wow, as Avelia said, you are very strong you always were and always will be !!
    Almost everyday, I keep playing that day in my head over and over again. And I dont know how the kids are handling everything. Its good not to keep everything bottled up inside, so im happy to hear that you have decided to talk to someone, even for the kids its good.

    Take care and we will see you guys nect week. By the way I hope Anthony is doing well. Is he ok, how much damage did he do to his foot? I call you later to see how he is. Ciao

     
  • At 9:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Sara,

    We hope you enjoyed your special day today. The girls had so much fun playing with you and your brothers and sister. Again wishing you a Happy 4th Birthday!!

    Love your playmates,
    Krizia and Chantelle Savoia

     
  • At 7:01 p.m., Blogger Calico Sky said…

    I am so sorry for your loss. My dad died suddenly when I was a child & it was so hard for my mom coping on her own, but she did it and I am amazed at the strength she had and I am sure you have to!
    I do hope you have had support from family and friends.
    I will be remembering you in my prayers...
    With deepest sympathy
    Kate

     
  • At 12:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Gina
    I want to let you know that you and your family are in my prayers for strength and peace. You are facing every challenge with great courage. Yes, the kids will have their mountains to climb over this but every book you read, every person you talk to and every look into what they are trying to say when they seem to snap for no reason at all - is what is making the difference for them.
    Philip was so easy to like. His laughter contagious and comforting. Philip is engrained in all of you and no he will never be forgotten as long as you call on those memories as often as possible. It seems no matter who you speak to they have such great memories of times with Philip. Your family was and still is blessed with his prescence in each one of those beautiful kids! Smile - you are doing it right! Reach out to any of us should you need because yours is one family I am sure would have been a shoulder to lean on at any time of need!

    Kiss those awsome kids for us,
    Paul, Rita and the boys

     
  • At 5:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Guys! Its me Karen. I can not Thank you enough for coming over and visiting me at my new home. I have felt lonely lately but you and the kids helped me feel better
    especially since you are all busy to.I do miss Anthony and will come up there soon to see him. Thank you for being such a wonderful family who I truly adore Rafael your turn to pick the movie Chow
    Huggs and Kisses
    Karen and Tanner

     
  • At 11:44 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday Gina:

    We had a great time at your party, your sister and Silvo did a great job. I can't believe that Sara and Marina did not let the cat out of the bag. It was great to see you enjoying yourself.
    Hope to see you all at the trailer before we close up.

    Sue and Mark

     
  • At 12:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    heyy guys this is Sara ginas little girl if u want to e-mail me it is sarafortini789@hotmail.ca any thing eles just write to mee
    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home